Adult day services centers have grown markedly since the first centers, as we know them today, opened in the United States in the 1960s. Given the demographics, we can expect the demand to increase beyond the estimated 5,000+ centers already operating in the United States.
Starting an adult day center is not an easy task. Keeping one going after it has been launched is filled with challenges, too. But for those of us who know from our own experiences what day services mean for impaired adults and their family caregivers, the results are well worth the time, money and effort. Fortunately, many have gone before you and a number of excellent resources are available to you as you begin this endeavor.
- The MetLife Study of Adult Day Services: Providing Support to Individuals and Their Family Caregivers (October, 2010) shows a 35% growth in the number of Adult Day Services centers to 4,600 centers nationwide and an increase of over 100,000 in the number of individuals served since 2002.
- Planning and Creating Successful Adult Day Services and Other Home and Community-Based Services
- National Adult Day Services Association Publications and Resources (Visit our online store for a special time-limited offer on two popular resources: Secrets, Strategies and Systems for Success, and the National Standards and Guidelines!)
- CARF (for national accreditation of adult day services)
- Visit adult day centers in your area (Find centers nationwide in the Locate an Adult Day Center search)
State Association leaders are a source of tremendous information regarding adult day centers in your specific state. Many host workshops on opening adult day centers, distribute publications specific to your state, and offer local opportunities for networking.
Click to view State Association Partners.
Regulations vary by state so you will need to become familiar with local and statewide licensing/certification requirements, zoning regulations and safety codes.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has compiled a helpful document entitled Regulatory Review of Adult Day Services.
State-by-State Information: Click for information on centers, state licensing, regulations and funding.
Join the National Adult Day Services Association and Your State Association
There is a wealth of information you can learn by networking with people already in the business. You don’t have to be an expert to benefit from the national or state associations–just a member!
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-38047690-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);