National Adult Day Services Week is September 19-25, 2021.
Forging a New Path Forward: Understanding Adult Day Services and the Future
Welcome to National Adult Day Services Week: September 19- 25, 2021. Forging a New Path Forward: Understanding Adult Day Services and the Future.
There has never been a more critical time for ADS professionals to come together to solidify our place in long-term care. The pandemic has ensured that the ways we serve seniors, veterans, and the IDD population are forever changed. However, with these changes we are also presented with unprecedented opportunities to improve policy, funding, and services!
This special week has been celebrated annually since it was proclaimed on September 27, 1983, by former President Ronald Reagan. The third complete week of September is set aside to raise awareness of the availability and accessibility of Adult Day programs nationwide.
Check out these resources and start planning ways to celebrate!
National Adult Day Services Week provides a terrific opportunity to showcase the services and programs provided to meet the needs and enhance the lives of participants through adult day services. Tweet your activities. Use photos and links to increase engagement. Add the hashtag #ADSWeek2021 to your tweets so that all NADSA followers can see them.
- Consider highlighting employees and volunteers who make service delivery possible.
- Interview and share stories with the media from families and participants who live better as a result of utilizing Adult Day Services.
- Tell how your center provides enhancement in programming – Doing well in Adult Day Services; implementing person-centered practices.
- Demonstrate how your center works well, e.g. fiscal wellness; board wellness; staffing wellness; investing in professional development; strategic planning to prepare for changing health care environment.
- Promote Self Care/Staff Care – Being well with unplugging; scheduled vacations; grief management for losses we experience; yoga/ exercise/ diet/ meditation.
- Describe care for participants and care for their family caregivers – How ADS enhances life for both groups; How to assist family caregivers; serving diverse populations.
- “Like” https://www.facebook.com/NationalAdultDayServicesAssociation.
An example of how life is enhanced for family caregivers is evidenced by research published by Modeling Cortisol Daily Rhythms of Family Caregivers of Individuals With Dementia: Daily Stressors and Adult Day Services Use. The study examined the typical diurnal cortisol trajectory and its differential associations with an intervention, the adult day services (ADS) use, among a sample of family caregivers who experienced high levels of daily stress.Dr. Steven Zarit:
- Original Proclamation of National Adult Day Care Center Week 1983
- Learn from the History of Adult Day Services
Marketing doesn’t just happen. You have to consciously and actively tell people about Adult Day Services.
Start by joining us in Baltimore, MD October 14-16, 2021 for this year’s National Conference: https://www.nadsa.org/conference/